Thursday, August 14, 2008

Things I'm happy, or unhappy about.....

Please excuse the fact that for some reason, I
can't get this blog to justify these photos correctly this morning.

Anyways.....I'm certainly pleased that this Sunday will be the last CrackMonkey softball game for at least 3 weeks. I'm mentally tired. It's a lot easier to deal with being mediocre. I found myself placing undue pressure on my pitching since we're good, because everybody wanted to win a jacket. And thank goodness we did, and can play our last game under a completely relaxed atmosphere.

I'm also very happy that my grandmother is celebrating her 80th birthday with her family this weekend. It's going to be weird being in matching shirts with the rest of my family, but them's the breaks sometimes.

I'm also very happy that I'm lucky enough to know a few Olympians this year. One of the perks of the job, for sure. Justin Spring won a bronze in Gymnastics, and tomorrow morning, Emily Zurrer starts for Canada against the US Women's Soccer team, with a semifinal berth on the line, and I'm not afraid to say that I'm pulling for the Canadians.

Here's what I'm not at all happy with:
That's right, my Macbook. The hard drive failed, AGAIN. Second time in less than one year. I have about a month or so's worth of pictures that I haven't backed up yet, so I'm in danger of losing that, unless they can save it for $199 of MY MONEY.
Now, I'm not that good at yelling and screaming to get my way, but I think I'm going to have to do that today. They're likely going to put in a brand new hard drive, and I'm going to have to suck it up and demand an extended warranty, and some other things. But I don't think I'm good at it. How do you do it? Post a comment to let me know.
What I do know is that Apple has really dropped the ball here on customer service. At no point has anyone apologized for my inconvenience. Why doesn't anyone do that anymore? I had a similar situation with a co-worker recently who really did something that put me in an extremely awkward position, and I think I would have been fine if this person had just said, "hey, my bad, I screwed up." But instead, they were defensive, and I haven't spoken to them in 3 months.
So that's my pontification on today: Learn to say I'm sorry. Sometimes it will do ten times more good than explaining what you were thinking, or what you were trying to do. Just say, my bad, and move on.
Finally, I'm happy that I'm running again. Tomorrow, I'm going to do 3 sets of 3 minutes walking, 7 minutes running. That's the inverse of what I was doing about a month ago, and I feel so much stronger. And when I weighed myself on Monday, I was at 169. I'm getting there.

Again, no comments the last time, maybe this time I'll get one or two.







2 comments:

Holly said...

Holly here, long-time reader.

I have a few nitpicks (sp?) about my Macbook too, but the positives for me so far severely outweigh the bad, so I'm ok with it. Although, unlike you, I haven't had my hard drive fail *knock on wood.*

Definitely yell at them. Aren't Macs supposed to have at least a 1-year full warranty anyway? I know you haven't had it a year because I haven't yet had mine a year. Demand your way. They are supposed to be the superior machines and yours is not living up to that.

Thanks, I'll hang up and listen.

RomanX said...

Well I wouldn't say "superior". They are nice machines, no doubt, but the main advantage they offer is homogeneity.

Other then that, you definitely need to press them on paying for the data retrieval. This is the second time it has happened. That is plenty of reason. That and get a new iPhone....that would be awesome.

Also, "put a lot of pressure on your pitching"? How about put a lot of pressure on my strained hamstring! You are a taskmaster, sir! A wicked little, knuckle ball throwing taskmaster!