Wednesday, November 4, 2009

OK, give your opinions, please:



As some of you know, last December, a co-worker ran in to my car in the parking lot. The damage was not extensive, but caused a significant crack in the paneling directly behind the rear driver's side door. I went and got the estimate, and it was roughly $1700. The man who hit me is a kind guy, very nice...but weeks kept going by with "I'll call my insurance guy today" and "You didn't get a call yet?" and "Shoot, I forgot yesterday, I'll make sure to take care of it."

After about 2-3 months of that, I learned that his wife had (I think) cancer, and then 2 months later, there was a health problem involving one of his children. Obviously, I backed off, trying to give him some time and space to deal with all of that.

About one month ago, I sent him a firm, but respectful reminder that I still have not received any type of compensation for the accident. Immediately, I received a response of "I thought it was taken care of, I'll start taking care of it today." Oy. One week later, I received an email saying, "This is still very important to me. I'm discussing the matter with my financial planner to come up with a solution."

Now, we're 3 weeks after that, and still no word, no check, no call from an insurance agent.

So, now I've got a damaged car, which is a bit older, so I'm getting to that point where I have to start thinking about getting a new(er) one. Obviously, a massive crack back there (hey yo!) will hurt the trade-in/resale value. If he pays with cash, I may use that as part of a down payment, and sell the car to a brother/cousin.

So...the debate is, if I don't receive any type of response within the next two weeks, what's my next step? Do I go to small claims court? Do I press the issue within my workplace? Do I send a letter to his home?

Honestly, I'll take any solutions any of you may have, even if it is anonymous. I'm at a loss for how to get reimbursed for his hitting my parked car.

4 comments:

RomanX said...

Well whatever you do, do not interject that into the work place. Call your insurance company, have them call him. Put on firm and steady pressure. Up the remind rate to 2, then 3, the, 4 times a week. I suspect you will get results pretty quickly.

Dr. X-Tina said...

Turn it in to your insurance company, pay your deductible and your insurance company go after his to get the money for your deductible back. That is what I had to do when my car was vandalized in my parking lot at Country Fair. I was out $500 for a few months, but got the money back. That is why you pay insurance, so you don't have to deal with this.

Teach said...

I agree with the suggestions already provided. You could send one last reminder to him informing him that you will contact your insurance on such and such date.

Anonymous said...

Mike...all these comments are correct and in addition...SAVE all the emails and texts that you have with this person.

Did you get a police report when the accident happened? If not, these emails will help to prove that he accepts responsibility for the damages.....OH MY...Too much Judge Judy, I need to get back to work!

Dad