Monday, November 2, 2009

The one negative about being involved with college athletics.

As I've said before, I'm extremely lucky to be involved with college athletics, and the opportunity to work with these student-athletes helps keep me feeling young and involved, moreso than a lot of other people my age. Each week, hosting Corner Kicks, I get to interact with the soccer players. They're honestly the nicest team I've had a chance to work with over the last 8 years, just good kids who have fun, and work hard.

Unfortunately, things have not quite worked out the way that they would have hoped this year. Some injuries, some missed opportunities...little things in soccer that end up costing you. They lost their final home game on Sunday, to a team they're clearly better than, 1-0. It was senior day. 4 players who have dedicated immense amounts of time, incredible effort, and their bodies (3 have had surgery, another might need it at the end of the year) were forced to walk off their home field for the final time, and did so with a loss.

It's just heartbreaking, and I'm certainly not doing it justice in terms of how strong the emotion is...but it is a miserable thing to have to watch them come off the field. I don't know how they do it year after year. I have an incredible amount of respect for them, and their level of dedication.

Anyway, that's the hard part. I get to experience mostly good things. The interactions on corner kicks (this week's off the air stuff with Jenna was hilarious), Dominique Keller coming over and taking the Werther's Originals, rain delays in the baseball press box...all these things are great. I'll try to focus on those.

In the meantime, here is this week's Corner Kicks. Hope you Enjoy!

No comments: