Monday, May 11, 2009

Announcing is done for the (school) year...



First, I would be remiss if I didn't wish my fellow CrackMonkey and google blogger Glenn Westfield a happy 33rd birthday. Visit him, and send him well wishes at uptherubicon.blogspot.com. Make sure to use a lot of big words. He seems to like that a whole heck of a lot. I don't know why we get along.

One interesting tradition that Glenn and I have seemed to develop is that we never exchange birthday presents on birthdays. Mostly because I always forget to get them to him on his birthday. This tradition may be just one sided. I'll have to investigate further.

OK, now on to the announcing. This weekend, I had the pleasure of announcing 7 sporting events. That included 4 NCAA First Round Tennis matches, and 3 Big Ten baseball games. With yesterday's Illini baseball game, I wrapped up a (relatively) successful year of announcing that began back in August. This year, I was lucky enough to announce in some capacity for: soccer, football, men's basketball, women's basketball, wrestling, baseball, softball, men's tennis, and women's tennis. Nine of the 19 sports on campus. I also emceed a women's gymnastics banquet. So lets call it 10 of 19. If I get some time, I may sit down and try and figure out what Illinois' record was during that time. It would be interesting to figure out. I think the highlight for me would be the men's basketball win over Purdue. So loud. There were several events that I announced to incredibly small crowds, including Saturday morning's women's tennis match between Fresno State and Eastern Kentucky. I think paid attendance for that match was 0. There were some family members (maybe 3?) and the rest of the people there were all paid staff. The largest was probably the World's Largest Basketball Practice, although crowd estimates for that were unreliable.

Most of all, I had a lot more fun this year. The stress level was much lower. I felt more comfortable in my own skin, with my own voice.

I'm hoping that next year, Ken Johnson will be healthy again to handle his announcing duties, and he and I will split most of the sports.

Now, on to the summer. I have lots of things to be excited about to fill up my time. I get to go to Australia at the end of June. I still have 4 half marathons to run by the end of August. I actually get to have date night with Julia from time to time, when she's not in class. I'd love to clean up that spare bedroom, so that someone could actually, I don't know, sleep there. And if I can sell a few things on ebay, that would be sweet too.

Finally today, I'll leave you with a fun story from Friday's baseball game.
Ron Guenther, the University of Illinois Athletic Director, was in the press box before the game started. He talked to me, and said, "Cation, how are ya."
M: "I'm good, how are you?"
RG: "Hey, I saw you running the other day, down on Windsor."
M: "Yep, that's on my running route."
RG: "Good lord, you looked like you were going to die."
M: *boggle*
RG: "I mean, seriously, you looked like you were about to pass out on the spot."
M: "Um...well."
RG: "Are you training for anything?"
M: "Yeah, I'm doing the Madison Half Marathon in two weeks. I've got to run tonight, in fact."
RG: "Well, thank goodness it's at night so no one will have to see you. Jeez."

One of the more enjoyable conversations I've ever had. I've been laughing ever since.

Love you all.
m

2 comments:

Dr. Cappa said...

Congrats on a successful announcing season. I wish I could hire you as my permanent announcer. "And Cappa is getting out of his car, what grace and stycle, Cation out!!!"

Unknown said...

chortle at the Guenther story.