Wednesday, September 3, 2008

CD creation....

OK, so here's what I'm dealing with this week.

Last week, I put together a pretty kick ass warmup Mix for the Illini soccer team (winners, btw, of the inaugural Illini Challenge Cup). Not necessarily because I like the music (girls, we need to get rid of R Kelly at this point....), but because of the challenges involved. Here are the rules:
No swearing
No references to alcohol drinking
No references to drugs
No edited swear words
No slurs

Now, this is not easy, when half of the songs contain many of those things. And by many, I mean many.
So we would take out entire verses. We'd take out choruses if need be. And as a result, it was completely clean, with some Busta Rhymes, some Fort Minor, and yes, some Lil Wayne.
So, now it's time for a bigger challenge: The football team. I've got an clean slate. I can add whatever I would like. So, I've got some Tribe in there....a little Talib Kwali. Little things that I like. But I'm also trying to throw in some Nas. And some Lil Wayne. And hopefully, we can get it done, and get it approved. That's going to be the trick. There's not as much concern about the soccer warmup CD, just because you don't have 30,000 people listening to it. But at football, you do, and many of those people who come in early are above the age of 60, and they feel completely ok with complaining about it.

So, that will be my entire day Thursday. I have to put it together, and make it cohesive, and print out a lyric listing, so that the administrators can have a look at what is being said at all time. I really want to make it sound spectacular, and have the players appreciate it too.
We'll see.

Also of note, yeah, I got to see the inside of the Stadium on Tuesday. It will look gorgeous. They're obviously not going to get it finished by this Saturday. But it'll be presentable. And hopefully, they'll be able to get it completely wrapped up by the 13th....when I won't be there.
Leigh's wedding, and all.

OK, I'll have an update on the CD by Friday morning. I'm hopeful, but realistic.
I will say, it starts with Journey's Don't Stop Believin, the "theme" for the team this year as issued by Coach, and then a record scratch, in to the very hard "Get Busy" by the Roots.

No comments: