Friday, June 12, 2009

Ethical Dilemma....I guess.



OK, so, Kevin gave me a bit of crap about this on the air the other day, so I'm throwing this out as an ethical dilemma.

I work out at the Fitness Center (the Fitness Center and you.....it's time to get fit.) They have a stretching room, which includes a very small table with a TV and DVD player, with an instructional video on how to use the gigantic stretching machine contraption.

So, as I walk in on Wednesday, I'm in there by myself, sit on the mat to begin stretching, and I notice that on the table, there's a $20 bill. There's nobody else in the stretching room, nor the room to its immediate left, a group cycling room. There is no other leftover equipment, like a towel from someone who was just in there. Just, simply, a $20 bill.

Now, I sit here typing with that $20 bill in my wallet in my pocket. My thinking was that since it was a $20, it's not worth turning in to the Club, because what's to stop the teenager at the front desk from pocketing it themselves. And surely the next person who walked in would take it, right?

I felt it was karma paying me back. When I was younger, around 5 or 6, a guy dropped either a 50 or 100 in Memorial Stadium. I saw it, and immediately ran up and gave it back to him. He gave me a quarter.

Also, a couple of months ago, I lost 20 bucks because I'm an idiot, and threw away a receipt from County Market that had a 20 in it. That was really just stupid on my part, but again....karma.

Right?
Am I wrong on this? Am I a bad person for not turning it in as lost? Let me know.

7 comments:

Dr. X-Tina said...

I think it is always best to try and find the owner of things you have found. That is where the decision comes in, if one thinks it will get back to the owner.

When you are the person who's lost something and go back to see if someone's returned it, it really sucks when you realize someone took it and on the other hand, it gives one some hope about humanity when someone has turned it in.

Dr. Cappa said...

I found a $20 walking Ellie about a month ago and it went straight into my pocket. If it was a watch or other personal item, then, of course, turn it in because people can describe that before they see it to prove that it is there.

What would be the description for the $20? Um, well, it was crumplet and the serial number was 3nds.....I say treat yourself and Julia to a nice dessert at custard cup!

Amber said...

I would have easily kept the $20 and not felt badly about it. If you didn't the next person would have.

anonomous little brother said...

I think what you should really do is send it to your little brother in an envelope with a nice big card and write "congratulations on completing freshman year of college, you really deserve this $20 because you are broke and need money for a car!" Btw, I know this is completely random, but i was searching on the internet and there is going to be a family 3v3 volleyball tournament, you want in?

5 Felines Femme said...

HAHAHAHA I'm with little bother! i mean brother....same thing....But really, it's a $20, there wasn't much you could have done shy of leaving a note that said thanks!

Teach said...

I ditto what my husband said.

This, but only this, does not make you a bad person, Mike.

DAD said...

Keep the money and don't look back