Wednesday, June 10, 2009

Things to do in Australia.....



Alright, as many of you may know, I'm headed to Australia in two weeks and one day. Now, I've got all the logistics taken care of, with plenty of thanks to my mother. My passport is up to date, I have a visa....I'm ready for that. (Money is another story, but that's beside the point)

What I'm trying to figure out now is what the heck to do while I'm down there. So far, I've figured out that I would like to go to a zoo, would like to see an Australian Rules Football game, maybe try to walk the Sydney bridge, run a half marathon...that's a good amount to start with. But I am always looking for more suggestions. Here are some that Ali sent me in an email. If you have any more thoughts on what I should do while I'm down there, please let me know! I'm all ears.

1. Snakes and koalas
Ballarat Wildlife Park is about 1.5 hours away. You can run around with and feed kangaroos. There is a reptile house (you might get to hold a snake or something). You can also get your picture taken holding a koala.
http://www.wildlifepark.com.au/

2. Surfing lesson
Keep in mind, it is winter here. It will be f'ing freezing. They'll give you a wetsuit, but still, it might be cold and raining. If you're interested, this is where I will take you: http://www.gorideawave.com.au/ in Torquay. BTW, Torquay is the location of a world famous surfing beach called "Bells Beach." The final scene of "Point Break" supposedly takes place at Bells, but they actually filmed it in Oregon. Enjoy the trivia.

3. Great Ocean Road
If you're keen on the surfing lesson and also going along the Great Ocean Road (http://www.greatoceanrd.org.au/Highlights.aspx) to the iconic Twelve Apostles, I would recommend that we do your surfing lesson one afternoon, then we continue on to the Great Drive to Apollo Bay, where we have dinner and spend the night at The Costal Motel www.coastalmotel.com.au. Standard room, which we could share is about $85 US. We could split the cost. Wake up early and go down the Great Ocean Road to the Twelve Apostles, etc. take pictures. Come back to Melbourne and do something that night in the city or whatever.

4. Winery tour
I would not recommend doing a "tour." Rather, I can just drive you out there and take you to a few cool places. The Yarra Valley is only about an hour and 15 mins away...and we could spend as much or as little time out there as you want. http://www.wineyarravalley.com/

2 comments:

Dr. X-Tina said...

Wine and surfing. I went surfing in Cali in December once, not sure how that compares with the cold, but the wet suit worked good to make it OK.

DJLeigh said...

Buy a boomerang, throw it, run around trying to find where it landed. Try to find a dingo and a baby sharing the same space. Eat up some delicious shimp on the barbie...and I mean the doll.