Wednesday, June 17, 2009

Random things including a travel checklist for myself...


Alright, so I go to Australia one week from tomorrow. I will have more on that in a moment. Here are my other random thoughts.
I won a 9 person poker tournament on Sunday on the internet. It was the first time I've ever actually won a tournament, so I was very proud. I've been working very hard to get better at the game, so that I can some day go to Vegas, and not look like an idiot. I have no aspirations to play in the World Series of Poker, but I would like to have a chamce in a smaller tournament there. I think it's a fun goal to have.
I made a statement on facebook a few weeks ago that people shouldn't complain about the weather. So here is my once a year summer rant on the weather: My body doesn't handle it well at all. I get overheated so quickly, it's just miserable sometimes. I should probably move to Canada or something. Ideally, I would have two homes, one in Seattle, and one in, say, Tennessee or something, to get the best of both worlds, without getting too hot. I ran 5 miles on Monday, and it was 80 and humid. I wanted to quit after a mile, but somehow muscled through. Today, at 86, will be another challenge. Luckily, I'm going to Australia, where it will be 60-65 every day. Ideal.
Last night, I made a spectacular pasta, with tomatoes, mushrooms, turkey, and avacado. And a spicy sauce. I wanted to only eat the sauce.
Sammy Sosa's positive test is far from a surprise, but continues to be a disappointment.
The twittering out of Iran is just fascinating. I think the new media has some horribly negative aspects to it in terms of how we are slowly losing the ability to interact on a person to person basis (self included), but what is coming out of Iran on twitter is fascinating. I suggest you get a twitter account just to check it out. Also, follow me (@mikecation).

OK, now, to be self indulgent for a moment, I'm going to put together my list of to dos that I must get done before I go to Australia and feel free to include your suggestions in the comments (with great thanks to Christina, Jill, Tony, Glenn, and my brothers and father for their recent comments):

-Make sure all books are renewed from the library, and Arrested Development Season 2.
-Get an adaptor plug.
-Make sure to have all toiletries, and small supplies for the overnight bag I'll need on the plane.
-Visa information/Passport
-Hotel reservations/Plan reservations
-Make sure the cats have enough food.
-Pack
-Clean my house.
-GPS and travel points.
-Running equipment ready to go.
-Get some Australian Monies for a taxi ride to the hotel.
-Get Ali's address.
-Make sure everything is set at work.

What else. I'm sure I'm forgetting a ton of stuff, and this list will continue to grow.

5 comments:

Holly said...

You said "before Las Vegas," but I think you meant "Australia."

Just watchin' out for ya.

Dr. X-Tina said...

Do you need to exchange any money?

Teach said...

I think getting Ali's address should be higher on the to-do list.

What about charge camera battery? Or do you just use your phone? If so, I think you need to get a camera.

Julia Stackler said...

Ooh, I agree with Teach. Good one- charge that camera battery!

Don't forget to pack your computer and phone charger.

That's all for now. I'm sure I will think of more... and I can tell you in person. :)

Dr. X-Tina said...

Did you call the credit card company(s) and let them know you'll be traveling so they don't think your card got stolen and cancel it?